We are looking for a passionate Character Artist, who always makes sure their digital children grow big and healthy, from their first baby steps as sculpts in ZBrush, to their texture graduation in Substance Painter. You have patience even during their awkward retopology teenage phase, wow!
After all, this is not your first rodeo: You already shipped a game or two, and there's a crowd of stylized 3D fellas in your portfolio, from cute smooth-faced humans to colorful feathered alien personalities. Maybe even some creatures and pets (because everyone loves pets).
You prefer stylised art directions over realism, and games aren't just a great source of entertainment for you, but also a collaborative, powerful playground that allows you to create magical worlds out of polygons and textures.
- A portfolio with a handful of game-ready, industry-standard models done by you from start to finish, demonstrating your experience with:
- Sculpting in ZBrush or similar
- Modeling and Retopologizing in Blender or similar
- Baking and Texturing in Substance Painter or similar
- Understanding stylization, simplification, design and composition
- Experience working as a Character Artist in at least 2 commercial titles
- Communication skills to work in a team-oriented environment
- Experience implementing art in a game engine
- Willingness to work along the art director and the art department in order to achieve the look and feel of each project, while being able to interpret and replicate concept art
- Willingness to work along the developers in order to integrate 3D in engine
- Specialization in stylized art and ability to adapt to different levels of stylization
- Ability to create custome PBR materials in Substance Designer or equivalent
- Experience with Blender
- Experience with Unreal Engine
- Enjoying the technical aspects of creating digital art
- Passion for games and entertainment
- Getting excited when movies have musical numbers
You will be part of the art department, helping us to populate our games with characters.
You will sculpt, model and texture, while coming up with creative and technical solutions in order to create and implement the artistic vision of our concept artists.
We are a young team and you will work with 3D artists from different levels, so as an experienced Character Artist, one of your tasks will be to help other more-junior-artists to overcome technical problems they might find along the way.
You will also be working closely with our art director on defining the look and feel of the new games and IPs we are developing, most of them yet unannounced.
- Unlimited work contract
- 30 days of paid vacation per year
- Money and time budget for training and education
- Once a year: One-week game jam during office hours
- We are proud to have a works council already established
- Flexible work hours (parent friendly)
- No crunch
- We work in a beautiful, industrial style office with lots of air
- You will get a public transport ticket for the Cologne Area
- We offer a lot of flexibility to work from home on a regular basis
- We do regular paid-for team events
- We have a nice and cozy team breakfast every Monday
- Discounts for gyms and bike sponsorships can be arranged
- Our office manager will help you with the challenges of relocating
- We offer financial help for relocation
- Office dogs! ????
- Core hours are around 10am - 4pm CET, but we are flexible on that
- We offer financial help to establish a suitable working space for you at home
- Sponsorships for gym or entertainment subscriptions can be arranged