Do you want to be a part of building our new studio and making historical grand strategy games in Barcelona?
Paradox Interactive is looking for a talented AI Programmer for Paradox Tinto, its Grand Strategy studio in Sitges, Spain. Are you an experienced C++ programmer with a passion for AI development, who wants to build AI for great games in the process as well as helping to build and coach a small programming team.
Have you been through a couple of game projects and are motivated both by making games and also by passing on what you have learned? Then this might be the right kind of opportunity for you; read on to learn how you can be part of a fun and talented team dedicated to Europa Universalis!
About the role:
As an AI Programmer you will be working in a small team developing games. Your primary focus will be developing the AI and coordinating solutions together with other developers and disciplines that fundamentally shape the experience of the games we release. Our developers have a high level of ownership over their work and it’s important that you can plan and manage your work efficiently.
Our cross-discipline team will collaborate closely and work together to craft the best possible player experiences. As such, you should be good at cooperating with people while also being passionate about games and not a stranger to work on all aspects of the game. Your driving force should be building great games!
- Excellent understanding of modern C/C++
- Several years of professional experience with C++.
- Strong sense of independence and an ability to take long-term ownership of your features.
- Ability to estimate your tasks and collaborate with technical and non-technical colleagues.
- Fluent in English, both written and spoken.
- Passion for and experience playing Europa Universalis IV
- Education or experience in Game Design.
- An interest and understanding of world culture and history.
- Have a passion for Paradox Grand Strategy Games
- Have experience of competitors’ strategy games
- Modding games, especially Paradox Development Studio games
- Ability to mentor others
- Curious about industry trends and looking for efficiencies
- Local candidate with immediate availability
- Build and maintain well-engineered C++ code with high levels of stability and performance.
- Planning, designing, and implementing the structure for the AI and then leading other programmers in work building and maintaining it
- Building an AI with an eye toward the player experience.
- Solve interesting problems, from designing and building new systems from scratch to optimizing features to be both performant but scriptable.
Some of our benefits for the permanent position include:
- Flexible hours
- 25 day holidays+”Bridge” days on top if the project allows it
- Optional WFH (2 days a week)
- Private health insurance
- PDX game access
- BBQs & Teambuilding activities
- Friday Social Hour (Drinks, Games, Quizzes, Beach after work, etc.)
- Unlimited Coffee & Tea, Healthy (and not-so-healthy) Snacks & Sodas
- Free Legal/Tax Assessment Services
- Unlimited Access to Gym Equipment / Weekly Crossfit sessions
- Limited parking spots
- Sodexo Restaurant and Transportation Card Service
- Private Garden & Dog-friendly Office (real-life dogs sometimes roaming around)
Paradox Tinto is one of the latest additions to the Paradox Interactive Studio family. Founded in 2020, this Studio was established by a small and dedicated team of industry veterans led by Johan Andersson. Building on our experience from Paradox Interactive and Paradox Development Studio, we are creating awesome content for the Europa Universalis franchise, the grand strategy game that started it all twenty years ago!
At Paradox Tinto we work in a small, gameplay-focused team, where everyone is part of crafting the player experience and has an input on the design of the game. We believe that game development should be fun and strive for a relaxed, stress-free atmosphere. Being a small studio built from the ground up, we expect everyone to contribute to the development of the studio and its culture.
We are also proud of having accessible experienced managers that lead you and care about you. Your contributions are important to us, the whole studio and the games we make.
You will be close to the final product, our community and our fans - we will encourage you to interact with our community and players directly through social media, our forum, and via streams.
Work/Life balance is important to us also, so our development plans do not rely on crunch (this does not mean we never work overtime but overtime is relatively uncommon and not encouraged).
Our office is located 300m from one of the beaches of a very picturesque mediterranean coastal city called Sitges. It is well connected by public transportation but also walking distance from restaurants, bars, pharmacies, supermarkets, stores, hotels, etc.
Sitges is barely 20 min away by car/bus from El Prat, Barcelona’s International Airport, and not only offers 17 different beaches around its own coastline (“Costa del Garraf”), but also offers an average of 300 days of sun a year! This warm and sunny weather is perfect to enjoy outdoor sports and leisure activities with your family and friends around the area; while mountain lovers still have the option to enjoy a wide range of all-year round mountain activities in the Pyrenees, only 2h drive away.
In addition, this historical and diverse town will captivate you with its cultural events, Mediterranean food and its excellent Spanish wine of course!